Going back to gun control for a moment. I will repost something from a fellow from another board. I will use dashes instead of quotes as that always seems to cause a vanishing post

--Sure. But the question, really, is what'll work and what won't. I'm not about to act like I can tell Americans how to solve this uniquely American problem, but a) as the article DD posted argues very concisely, "assault weapons" is a completely meaningless term and b) "ban guns" sounds to me a lot like "ban drugs", and that never worked either.

See, here's the thing. I live in Switzerland. Gun nuts in the US love to cite Switzerland as an example of why gun control doesn't work - we have very little gun control (though most of what the NRA says about us is bullshit - the government doesn't require anyone here to keep a full-auto assault rifle in their home) and a very low crime rate. But the thing is, Switzerland also has social security to an extent that would have all of these NRA morons screaming "communism" at the top of their lungs. And I think that's really the difference. Your cut-throat, competitive capitalist society breeds violence, and that's why you have these mass shootings. That's the difference between the US and Switzerland. People here don't fear for their livelihoods the way Americans do, and as a result, we're a less violent society on the whole. I have no idea what that means in terms of fixing the gun violence problem in the US, but it seems to me that it's a symptom of a much larger problem than just guns.--