Originally Posted By: the unknown pervert
Those of you thinking that stricter gun control would do anything worthwhile let me remind you that the United States government has spent the last 35 or so years cracking down on people buying and selling illegal drugs. How has that worked out? You don't solve problems like this by eliminating the supply. You solve it by eliminating the demand.

I've been open about being a strong proponent of people having a right to own weapons. I don't believe in any particular limitation to magazine size and I don't even think it's correct that the average citizen can't own a full auto weapon without having to jump through many hoops. Although I do think there's far too lax a system where violently mentally ill people can get access to weapons. And I have nothing against 5 day waiting periods.

However here is something extremely lopsided when you consider how much scrutiny and money is focused on Islamic terrorism when since 9/11 (including the deaths of 9/11) there's been roughly 5000 victims of terror in the United States and there's been over 440,000 deaths by non terror related gun violence. However the average citizen when polled is much more fearful of a terror attack.

If you're going to pretend to be anywhere near intellectually honest you'd really have to ask yourself which is a greater public health threat, why we focus so much energy and money "fighting terror" and what is really fake news.