I don't particularly give a shit if the statues fall or not but hey I'm white and I'd probably feel different if I were black and had to see one of those statues dedicated to foghorn leghorn after walking out of a courthouse that just acquitted a cop who blew my leg off with a 12 gauge for jay walking or something.

I just have to question the mind set of a person who becomes so emotionally invested in wanting to keep them erected. Seems like such a strange thing to focus your energies on.

The arguments that this leads to Orwellian manipulation of history and language is frankly bullshit. For one thing as it has already been stated most of these statues were put up during the Jim Crow era as a way to wave white dicks in the negroes face so they'd know their place and not as some kind of monument to the poor fallen conscripted confederate soldiers. It's not as if we are going to forget about the civil war. If you want to talk about real Orwellian manipulation of language you can look at text books in red states being rewritten to minimize the impact of Martin Luther king and calling the slaves "workers".

The argument that only a tiny population of people owned slaves is also rather specious to me because only a tiny segment could afford slaves. I'm sure the average southern citizen would have loved to own slaves if they could have afforded it.