From a very close friend, an Air Force Vet, married to a top ex CIA guy.
"The Syrian Action-
I think it was a smart move. One target with a message. Stop that shit right now. He could have taken out every base if he wanted to.
Our military contacted Russian military to let them know what was about to happen. A Courtesy call.
The action was taken when the least number of people were there (on base) to minimize death- He shot Tomahawks- which fly slow- If Russia wanted to take them out, they could have. They did not. They did not hit the gas to kill people on the ground like they had killed their own people with.
He had met with 3 middle east leaders prior to the action, which are neighbors to Syria.
And all of these hours later, we still haven't heard much from anyone.
There are international rules about Chemical weapons- The UN did what they do- which is nothing. We told them and gave them a chance to follow their own rules. They wrung their hands and did nothing.
I think insanity is believing doing what we have, or haven't been doing the last 8 years, is the answer. I don't think the rest of the world is quite as big of scardy cats as we Americans seem to be over action. The rule is don't use chemical weapons on people. Syria used them, not only on people- but their own people who were unarmed. Easy response.
Goes back to "If you see something wrong and you walk by without doing anything- you have just set a new and lower standard. It's true in our own lives and it's true in our countries life. It's done"