Loaded my pizza oven with hickory wood, pushed the wood all over to one side and let it burn down until the flames went out and the oven temp came down to 500 degrees, then I put a nice hunk of choice ribeye in there and let it brown in the high temp. When the oven temp got down to around 350 degrees, I closed up the front door and left the top chimney open just enough to maintain the temp for the next hour or so.

I was talked into leaving the roast beef in the oven until the internal temp. got up to over 132 degrees, and it continued to rise to around 144 degrees after I took it out of the oven to rest, which is too well done for my taste. Next time, I'm taking it out at 120-125 degrees internal temp. Otherwise, it was an amazingly crispy, tasty roast. Now that I have the technique down, I'm going to try this again with a bone-in pork loin roast soon. The only other change will be to throw another small chunk of hickory wood onto the smoldering coals before I put the meat in to provide some additional smoke flavor.

Attachments
BeefInPizzaOven.jpg (98 downloads)
BeefDone.jpg (98 downloads)