No, whole papaver somniferum pods or even seeds can be made into a highly acidic, alkaloid rich tea (very much worth occasional urinary urgency or gastroesophageal reflex if you're asking me, but I'll refer you to deQuincey). It was possible to order dried pods for 'arts and crafts' from ebay for several years before the DEA intervened. For the record, if you always take stool softeners at the same time you take opioids you won't have the same problems most chronic users have.

Kratom however is a weak mu and kappa opioid receptor agonist, and withdrawal is incredibly mild. It also has some adrenergic activity that bestows an alertness you could liken to cocaine or caffeine; it's not at all sedating which is the primary reason I take it. Most people will put it in capsules, but I happen to consume a lot of it so I just spoon it into a glass. You need to cover as much surface area as possible for it to submerse and mix, so it's better to add water intermittently from a shower-head-type faucet. I drink this 2-3 cup mixture as quickly as possible, it being somewhat granular and unpalatable; I do this between 1-3 times a day. In fact I don't take stool softeners because the sphincter is an erogenous zone and these bowel movements are the closest I've come to sex in a long time.