Originally Posted By: Steezo
My daily use chef knives are made by Shun and they're part of the reason why I bought that sharpener. Japanese knives use a very hard steel that will take a nice razor's edge, but if you aren't extremely careful with them the edge can be kinda.... chippy? I had to use my coarsest sharpening stone on a couple of my Shun knives to grind out little chips in the edge.
I bought the 10" just because I wanted to see what all the rage was. And that way, if I bought a larger set, I wouldn't have a redundant knife. The cut is incredible. I do worry about chipping. I guess the way to reduce that problem is to use them for their intended purpose only. I'll have to do some research, but my best friend's ex father in law (is also the guy who sang at my brother's first wedding) is considered by several sources to be the knife sharpening master of the DC-Baltimore area. I'll take some of my junk knives to him to see what he can do.