Originally Posted By: Steezo
This really irritates me. A couple of restaurants have opened up here recently touting "wood fired pizza." If you look at the first pic below, the oven, idiotically named, "Wood Stone," clearly has a gas burner hidden behind a grate. Then in the second pic from a different restaurant, you can see they're using the same fucking oven only they clearly just threw a couple of pieces of wood off to the side and lit them on fire to fake the photo. Assholes.

Years ago another restaurant did the same thing and I actually asked someone to show me the oven and tell me why the pizza is called "wood fired," when the flame clearly came from a gas burner. The next time I came back, the pizza was billed as being, "stone fired," which means absolutely fucking nothing.

Edit: From checking out the "Wood Stone" website, I see the target temperature for their ovens is 570°. I can calibrate my fucking home electric oven to get hotter than that.

I saw one joint in Brooklyn pimping "wood fired". They actually had a fireplace going under where they cooked the pies. They where out of biddness in under a year. Place was gutted and now a sushi joint.

Personally, I can't stand "rustic" type pizzas. I want a fucking pizza pie, not smushed dough w/ a mess of shit thrown on it. When I see articles w/ that crap billed as the best pizza in NYC, or where ever, I wanna fuckin puke.