Ok, so it's 6:20 pm and I'm in southwest Georgia in a typical road-warrior hotel. I need to get my Garmin out of my truck to load an optimized route in it for next week and I bust out the hotel room door in a hurry and surprise two gentlemen of color with some handheld device plugged into the bottom of the electronic card reading door lock ON THE ROOM NEXT DOOR. Not my room. The door opens and they go in while I retrieve my GPS. They do not look like maintenance and judging by the guttural emphatic sounds I hear through the wall right now they are not, in fact maintenance. They did not look like the gays either...just typical dudes in winter here in sweats, hoodies etc.

Questions:

Do I call the desk and ask WTF?

WTF was the thing they plugged into the port I now see under the card readers?

Are these damned devices things commonly available?

edit: Apparently I can profile like a NYC cop...

1. Of course I called the desk. They are maintenance. Just cold so coats and shit on. They are reprogramming locks but actually I suspect the empty room is where they go to screw off on duty. (More profiling)?

2. It's an official lock programmer

3. Yes, they are common and you can make your own for $40.00... always lock your deadbolts and throwlatches in hotel rooms kids

Edited by Bornyo (11/20/13 03:41 PM)