Originally Posted By: ICTimer
Originally Posted By: Barry the Pirate
I'm seeing a disturbing trend of going back to the silliness of the 80s in the E.

To be fair, look at what gets over in the WWE these days. Santino Marella was one of the most over guys on the fucking roster a year ago, and he's goofy as hell. Zack Ryder got over with the ridiculous Jersey schtick. They jobbed both those guys out, but I bet they sold a shitload of cobra socks and WWWYKI headbands. Silly shit makes money in this era.

Dancing Tensai and Brodus getting a push when they were both stagnant due to a fucking dance contest.

And I don't necessarily hate silliness - I'm a Chikara fan - but I would rather have it be somewhat clever rather than what the WWE sees as comedy. It's like a fifth grade insult factory with random dancing.

There is such a fine, fine line when it comes to silliness. It has to be done correctly. The attitude era blended it quite well. The forced stuff like DX never really appealed to me. Austin playing the straight-faced crazy man, pulling out all the stops to get Vince's approval comes to mind. I still laugh hard at the skits. Loved when he gave Vince the Cowboy hat and Kurt Angle came out of the background wearing the kiddie hat.

I also liked the stuff that was so over the top, that it just clicked like Mae Young giving birth to the hand, and Austin attacking Vince in the hospital. The shit that WWE puts out these days is just cringe-worthy. And not in a TNA, so bad it's good kind of way.