The whole story thing's nice when it works, but generally, FPS games don't have much of a story to offer and still work out.
Call Of Duty's all special forces hopping across the globe to essentially save the world until next year, when the next one comes out. Crysis 1, Warhead and 2 are gorgeous, but solid shooters, too.

Far Cry 2 and 3 are nothing for me. The open world shit's getting tiresome and if accepted game design consists of letting people wander around to finally get some progress going when the mission starts after some epic stroll, something's becoming irrelevant.

Looking at some episode of The Bonus Round, there was a game designer who worked on at least the second Borderlands; he basically considered Call Of Duty's on-rails game design running through one set piece to the next to be empty.
I wanted to try the first Borderlands and while there would've been many, many boxes with some shit'n trinkets laying around in dark corners for sure and it's all very cell-shaded, I didn't actually give enough of a shit to tolerate absolutely atrocious aiming at the very beginning of the game. Clearly some auto-aim console abortion, forgotten and haunting.
So while his bullshit fad game was left aside, I played Call Of Duty and had some entertainment.