Originally Posted By: faceblaster
There's a great Hop n John sequence in Boardwalk Empire. There's also a shot of a New Jersey train car diner menu with Brunswick Stew listed on it. I was sure I'd found an anacronism, but online research suggests it's possible people were selling Brunswick Stew in coastal NJ in 1921.
Man, I miss southern cooking.

There's nothing like Southern food. I don't know why, but I was up 'til about 1:30am this morning partying in our home and still got up at 5:30 this morning. Naturally no one else was up (or still up) so about 7am I started frying bacon and cooking grits. I scrambled a dozen eggs in a portion of the bacon grease. I'd have loved to make biscuits but I don't have the talent. That woke all the houseguests up in short order. I love a Southern breakfast. At least in my travels... wherever there's a Waffle House I can get a bowl of grits.

I can appreciate the Paula Dean style of "Southern", though we don't eat that way every day. To me Southern food is defined by cheap protein staples and vegetables. Doesn't have to have a stick of butter or pint of Crisco.