Originally Posted By: J.B.
Originally Posted By: Barry the Pirate
How is the argument specious?

Well, we could start with your absurd notion that there's such a thing as a "local" McDonalds, Pizza Hut, etc. It's very ubiquity rules against it.

More to the point, though: It's specious because Obamacare actually benefits small businesses. Companies with fewer than 50 employees are exempt from the responsibility to provide healthcare or be fined. Those with fewer than 25 employees receive subsidies if they chose to provide coverage. John Schacter's problem seems to be that it would lower labor costs for the mom & pop places.

In sum, you want to screw over small business owners, their families and the millions of people they employ in order to reward a Kajillionaire with poor marketing skills who peddles inferior product. You're chock full o'win today.

The local McDs is owned by a local franchisee, who hires local people. I don't know about Hut or John's, whether they're franchises or not. To say there's no such thing as a "local" Mcds is just wrong.

Not saddling a kajillionaire with an unreasonable new tax isn't "rewarding" them.

So, what becomes of the the people working at a 49 or less employee business? Do they just die in the snowy streets of Pottersville? Or is there a safety net for them?

But beyond the nuts and bolts of the new System, could you (or anyone) tell me why it's an employer's responsibility to pick up your insurance? At what point did the mindset change from health insurance being a benefit to entice new and keep current employees to being an entitlement that your boss by God owes you? If the GOV sees health care as being an entitlement, why aren't they picking up the tab? I'm assuming it's because there would be no way in hell they could sell taking $300+ a month directly from every worker's check.

It's all moot tho. We're going to get to see it in action. Should be interesting.