I made the mistake of being in NYC last weekend and my flight out on Monday got cancelled. I rode out the storm in a hotel in Hell's Kitchen and finally flew home Thursday.

From where I was, Monday was just a windy day with medium rain, power didn't go out. However, after that, almost everything in Mid-Town was closed, because most anyone who works there has to commute from somewhere else and all mass transit was down. Restaurant row on 46th was mostly open though, which was nice.

The ride to JFK through lower Manhattan was navigated through streets without power, cops directing traffic on some intersections. Trees were down everywhere in Queens.

I'd had a nice trip through the North Fork of L.I. wine country over the weekend. I've heard they might not have power in parts of L.I. for at least a week or two.

The disparity between the storms impact where I was and say, Staten Island, is striking. I've heard there are bodies washing ashore regularly now along the more populated sections. It's a shame, the gov't clearly advised evacuation for virtually all of those areas.