Originally Posted By: the unknown pervert
Riviera is the most overrated closer in baseball history. The only reason everyone sucks his nuts is because he has spent his entire career as a Yankee when his entire team has pretty much been an all star team. Put him in a Milwaukee Brewer or Pittsburgh Pirate uniform for his career and no one would ever have heard of him.

OK, TUP, 3 years later, Mariano still at the top of the game, you still feel this way??? Sure, if he was on a shit team like the Pirates, he wouldn't be as big of a star as he is, because he wouldn't have all those post season records.

Dude is money, and has been the most important Yankee since the day he took over the closer job. Most regular season saves, most postseason saves, and he'da have an easy 50 more in the regular season, if Torre didn't baby him in Aug & Sept all those years, saving him for the post season. Yeah, he's had a couple fuck ups in big games, but he been in so many of them, it's bound to happen from time to time.

Relievers usually have a prime of 5 or so years. Mo has gone 15 years of dominance, with one fucking pitch, in the toughest division in baseball. Boston, Toronto, late 90's Orioles, current Rays, no other division is that deep year in and year out.

603 saves, 1111 Ks in 1211.1 IP. 14 seasons over 30 saves, 8 of them 40+, 2 50+. 11 seasons with an ERA under 2.00. 5x top 5 for Cy Young, 2x top 10 for MVP. If you are into advanced stats, which I'm not, his ERA+ is the best all time, 52 points ahead of Pedro Martinez in second.

Check this line out

96 games, 8-1 record, 0.70 ERA, 42 saves, 141 IP, 110 Ks

that is his post season record. It is fucking SICK.

How about this:

64 games, 1-2, 1.91 ERA, 44 saves, 61.1 IP, 60Ks

Last is last year, at 41 years old, in his 17th season.

In conclusion, hate the uniform all you want, I know how it is, but you gotta be on powerful meds to think Mariano isn't the greatest reliever of all time. You need a face to hate, then hate on A-Rod, or Jeter, or Tex.

P.S. I am happy as a pig in shit that Andy Pettitte is back.