OK, the article basically told us how it's going down: 2 plain-clothes cops will come in and order drinks, survey the bar, then if they see anyone drunk they'll make a cell-phone call to another cop waiting outside who will radio in for uniformed police to come in and make the bust. They said people are typically quite angry and ask, "What am I supposed to be doing in a bar beside getting drunk?" I expect this will not last long. Angry Alaskans tend to be quite outspoken.

The thing is, my previous dealings with the Anchorage police while drunk is that they're really cool. The last time I dealt with one was right after Saint Patrick's when I got super loaded and tried to walk home on extremely wet/icy sidewalks. I fell down and almost cracked my head open, floundered around on the ice for a while and then decided I'd just lay there and bleed to death. This cop pulled up and got my story and the only thing I really remember telling him was that his goddamned head was so big that he must be Irish. After that, I think I might have told him about my favorite St. Patrick's Day when I got Ireland & Scotland confused and just started yelling at everyone in a horrible Scottish accent. All I can really remember is an image of the cop doubled over in laughter. He called the meds to check my bleeding head and then dropped me off at my house, which was extremely cool.

The time before that was when my friend picked me up from my house and I was already drunk. We went and had a few more drinks and then drove to another bar and he got pulled over making a turn thru a yellow light. The cops said they smelled alcohol and I was like, "Allow me to answer that! I have been drinking HEAVILY!" They made my friend get out for a field sobriety test and because his leg is kinda fucked up, I rolled the window down and yelled, "He can't do the walky thing!! His leg is all fucked up!" This was also met with laughter and they told me to shut up and then just gave him the finger-follow test on his eyes and told him not to let me drive anywhere. We got spooked, so we just hung out in that bar until they closed. At that point, my car was getting towed but the tow guy was nowhere to be seen. So we figured out the controls, dropped my car, unchained it and drove home.

Maybe I've just had good luck or it might just be if you're cool to the cops, they'll be cool back to you.