The Help. When my folks met in Casper, Wyo during WWII, my mom's BFF was dating dating a soldier from Memphis. They all pretty much hung together all the time until the war ended. My mom's BFF and her soldier went back to Memphis and my folks came back here. They stayed in touch, got together at least once a year. Similar career tracks. My dad joined the JayCees and their crony joined the Klan. Their huge house was built by Negro day laborers for a fraction of what it would've cost up north. And their daughters were raised by a Coloured maid. She was practically family. Practically. My folks used to talk about it...especially the last few years my dad was alive. I think it kind of embarassed him towards the end. The dynamics of the maid/ employer relationship fascinated me, but the closest
I've seen to anything covering this was Driving Miss Daisy. I think there's a lot of melodrama and artistic license in The Help, but I think a lot of the emotions are pretty spot on. I'd like to read the memoirs of an actual domestic instead of some white broad's estimation of how the help felt.

Not a bad read for fiction.