Originally Posted By: Bornyo
Dick Slater was about two years, maybe three ahead of me in the same high school. His coach, my teacher. told me he was the meanest, baddest and most uncoachable kid he'd ever dealt with ever. This was early 80's NWA and Championship Wresting from Florida with Gordon Solie.

"Dirty Dick Slater" was an authentic character. I was at the Ft. Homer Hesterly Armory for the epic battles between Jos Leduc and Dusty Rhodes, when Dick Murdoch came back to town and all that old school stuff. When Murdoch called out Dusty Rhodes by his real name as "Virgil Runnels" me and my friends looked him up in the Tampa phonebook and used to call his house all the time and harass his wife or whomever answered his phone.

Wrestling is good drama.

It's stories for men. Episodic television.

Gary Hart, an Evil Genius according to Solie, called out the Plumber's Son by his real name. That was heady stuff when I was like 11. It was by God serious. Hart was pissed and Kabuki, or whoever he was managing, was gonna fuck Dusty up something fierce. Not sure when I first saw Virgil Riley Runnels was the executive producer of GCW.