From another thread:

Originally Posted By: Jerkules
Panzer, would granny be sad if you brought home a bleck?

Brought a story to mind. I never cared for my Russian grandmother. Her parents were from the Ukraine. She was the first of her sibling born in the US. More on her another time ...

... and more to the point that came to mind ...

My father's youngest brother brought back a souvenir from his time in Korea, a wife.

After an accident ended his promising Rodeo career [odd for a Brooklyn-born Yid], he served in the Army after the Korean War. While in Korea he met and fell in love with a daughter of a local leader friendly to Americans and looking to become one.

Years later we were sitting in my father's sisters house and my Korean aunt was talking about how see met my uncle, how excited her parents were that she had found an American [since, like I said, they were angling for a way to move here], BUT he never explained to her what being Jewish was. And, so she never thought it important to mention to her parents.

Aunt "Nazi Tia": "If they knew he was Jewish, they never would have let him marry me."

Grandma: "What a Shandeh! Bubalah, we never felt that way about you. [rubbing her arm, like a mafia guy gives a kiss] When my tatelleh enlisted, we just said a kina hora that the Army didn't post him in Africa."