Quote:
I took 9 hours of philosophy in college. 3 of it was Existentialism with Sartre being the man ! It was all meaningless. lol

I took 18 credit hours from the Philosophy department. But, 6 of those were Logic, which is really like a Math, and for me, like jerking off: fun for the moment but a waste of my time and not much of an accomplishment [I think I got one question wrong on test in both classes].

IIRC, I took intro, Ethics and Medicine, Theories on the Nature of Man and Phenomenology. I liked the last two. Both have left profound effects upon me.

Probably the philosopher I came upon in college that influenced me most was Nietzsche. Partially because I had independently come to some of the same questions and possible conclusions. I also liked his style. But, I didn't know that I, like he, was also mentally ill. Still, no matter the influence, I spend too much of my time "being a fly swatter".

My first encounter with Existentialism was actually in high school. We read Sartre, Camus and Dostoevsky. At the time, I didn't like any of them. I came to like Dostoevsky later in life. My dad had all of Kafka. So, I read some of that, too.

The person that was VERY fashionable among my young collegians was Ayn Rand, Fountainhead, etc., NOT the Existentialists that so mesmerize SashaMutt. I never could get into either myself.