My stepmom wanted a "family vacation" and took any member of the family that wanted to one of those "all inclusives" for a week in Cancun, the largest American neighborhood in Mexico born about 40 years ago.

My stepsisters, hubbys and kids went. My bro and sis opted out. It's too phony for them. And, though it was very nice, they are both used to better and neither is going to waste precious vacation days on this. My sister loves to scuba dive. She rather make friends with a cuttle fish, help some University count squid or swim on the back of a sea turtle [all of which I've seen her do on DVD].

Hanging on the beach, a buffet breakfast and theme restaurants aren't much of a substitute.

Most of the vacation was spent on the beach with my elder stepsister's husband complaining about the food. He's a very picky eater. She would have killed him.

I got many smiles from the Mayan-descendant staff because I would try to order what I could in Spanish. No one else really bothered. But, I do that here, too, when shopping in Union City.

On the next to last day, my younger stepsister, her husband and I opted to take a day trip to see Chichen Itza. I loved the site. I hated the bus ride.