Quote:

This deal is a whole lot better than having booze as my Higher Power.

The standard answer to the question, "How does AA work?" is, "Very well, thank you."

I notice you aren't claiming a long term success rate. You are just 1 guy who has been trying very hard to make it work for over a decade.

From AA's own numbers it's clear that not many people who go to a couple of meetings continue to attend after a longer period of time. Let's say a year.

Keep doing what works for you and if you can come up with some kind of demonstrable success rate (not talking about opinions about whether it works for some folks, I want some numbers) compared to other ways people try to get sober I would love to hear about it.

I'm not knocking AA because it helps you. I am knocking it because there aren't numbers to support opinions about how well it works for people in general.

What is the attrition rate at your meetings? How many people are still going 6 months after their first meeting? This is the kind of thing that is important for judging any kind of success rate.

I am going to repeat this:
Quote:

When AA starts publishing numbers that can be backed up by independent research they will stop sounding like a religious organization who sells books and tokens.

And also repeat Chuck:
Quote:

The standard answer to the question, "How does AA work?" is, "Very well, thank you."

Tell me that AA doesn't sound like a religion after some of Chuck's answers.

Why is there even a standard answer instead of reasoning it out for someone who is asking a question? Sounds like church.

This is the same kind of Christianity, Mac User Dogma repetition shit that I get from born agains. Mac's slogan "It Just Works" sounds a hell of a lot like what Chuck just said.

Deflecting questions of numbers doesn't speak highly of how well a program works.

Edited by conquistador (08/23/10 06:15 PM)