It is a nice night in Dayton, a little windy, but 61F. I rode the bike to the meeting. The Group started the first Thursday in March, 1978, so tonight we celebrated our 31st anniversary with a cake. There were 16 alcoholics there. Bill got a token for 12 years, and my friend Tom was celebrating 19 years.

Tradition Three - The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.

Long form of Tradition Three - Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism. Hence we may refuse none who wish to recover. Nor ought AA membership ever depend upon money or conformity. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an AA group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.

PAY ATTENTION! If you say you are an AA member, you are. No one may refuse you recovery. You don't need to bring anything, you don't have to believe in anything. You are in if you say so. I want to make this crystal clear - and share that many in our group said tonight they would not be here if it had been any other way. Don't let anything deny you a seat. If you say you need this thing, here it. We will be thrilled to share it with you. No exceptions. No one may throw you out, although if you are exceptionally unruly or blatantly disrespect the rules of the facility you are in, you may be asked to come back another day, please.

That leaves us drunks no excuses. Go to AA. They can't throw you out. For some of us, it was the last place for us to go. No matter how high or how low, we know. Welcome. I will love you like an old friend, because everything is here for YOU!

Keep comin' back. We won't throw you out, we may say some things you need to, but don't want to, hear, but we will always welcome you back. Many members of our Group, now sober many years, tried for several years before they finally achieved long term sobriety.

For my part, I thought this membership requirement very difficult. It took me either 6 weeks, or 15 years, to be eligible, depending on how you look at it. I didn't want to put the plug in the jug. But, I kept comin' back, and it worked.

We went to almost 9:00 tonight. There is so much in this simple principle. But you get the main idea. A couple things to leave you with, then I'll close this week's essay up.

I was privileged to attend an Ohio State Convention when the archivist from GSO in New York spoke. He said newcomers don't want to know about the steps, they want to know about the Traditions. Who runs this? How much does it cost? Do I have to join? What projects are you involved in?

Darrin said, "If more people would follow some simple principles, we wouldn't need rules."

-Chuck, Vegetarian fanboy