Free, it's a joke! I'll tell another one later.

It was cold again in Dayton, and at least two regulars had other things they could not get out of, so we only had 12 alcoholics at the meeting. We passed around a card for Bob P. Sudie came with her new baby, and got a 1 year token. Claudia celebrated 9 years sobriety. We had a short group conscience meeting afterwards, and decided to add a moment of silence before we end with the Responsibility Statement, and we decided to limit our Group's 31 year celebration to a simple cake.

Step Seven - Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

We discussed several aspects of humility and how we have grown because of the awareness and growth we have enjoyed. The Chairperson spoke of how this step helps at work, something I can relate to. There are times, several agreed, when we need to be assertive. There are other times we need to defer to others. Perhaps most difficult for several of us, there are times when we should remain silent.

It was discussed how as children some of us were told we were not good enough, and some were told they could do anything. Restraining the two extremes is a big part of humility. This is also a big part of removing our shortcomings. We are not going to become perfect, we are not abhorrently warped, we are simply people trying to be better. Trying to get along with others.

The end aim of all of this is, to lead life on an altruistic plane. To strive to be good people, to accept what serendipitous results we may enjoy, but to be driven to help others and do the will of our Higher Power. It is in this spirit we ask, that our shortcomings may be removed, in part, for as long as needed, for us to do good works. Not for our own comfort, although it works out that way. But this is a point of spiritual perfection we aim for, but never really achieve.

A point of spiritual willingness and humility I will never reach again, was a short prayer I said at 4 days sober. The attached file says more about this. I asked for help without restraints, I was desperate and ready to do what I needed to do and accept any outcome, if God would help me make it in AA. I doubt I will ever have that level of humility again.

We had a few laughs, Hank saying it took 3 people to replace him after he retired, me telling how the motorcycle is helping give me humility. Also, banging yourself in the head over character defects, and trying to bull my way through Step 6, gave me a little humility.

And we must accept our continued shortcomings as part of this humility. Anger, frustration, and self condemnation will not help. We must be grateful for the progress that we have made. I know I had gone a long way by the time I got to Step 7.

How does one know when to go to the next step? We know this is a lifelong striving, it is not like 4 and 5, where we knew when we were done. Well, sponsorship helps here. Once I had overcome any of my grosser handicaps, and got a decent feel for the lifelong striving to improve in other areas, I was ready to start writing my list for 8.

I hope the next time (probably at work) when I start to be the problem, I can go to this step and see if we can subdue my shortcoming(s) for so long as needed.

Next week - Step Eight. Keep comin' back.

-Chuck, Vegetarian fanboy

And I want to add this additional postscript, not on edit. There were two alcoholics with over 30 years of sobriety at the meeting. One passed without talking, the other left before the business meeting, saying whatever the Group decided was fine. So, more lessons in humility.

Attachments
388035-Step 7.txt (29 downloads)