There were 19 alcoholics at the meeting tonight, including a visitor from New Jersey. Ken S., a former longtime regular who moved north 30 miles or so, showed up and got a 25 year token. We held a business meeting after the meeting, and elected Gary to be Intergroup Representative, as Bob has cancer and the chemo keeps him from fulfilling the role. We have a treat every first Thursday, tonight Tom brought homemade chocolate chip cookies, and lots of 'em.

Tradition Two - For our group purpose, there is but one ultimate authority - a loving God as He may express himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants, they do not govern.

The long form of Tradition Two - For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority - a loving God as he may express himself in our group conscience. (This long form is shorter than the short form)

Our Group had a big controversy 20 years ago, about 2 years before I showed up. This led to the Group discussing a tradition every month, and we enjoy this. We also feel it has made our Group stronger. The Group has a heavy emphasis on service work, both locally and at the General Service level. All the AA traditions are based on spiritual principles, and drilling down to these concerns give a fresh look at group interactions, and points out spiritual practices AAs can apply to their own lives. These traditions meetings are not as dry and boring as one might think.

Our Second Tradition protects against having a strong leader decide group matters. It forces us to act together, to use our combined knowledge and experience to resolve issues and establish levels of service that allow us to survive. These "officers" have no real authority, we just collect the money, pay the bills, make the coffee, chair the meetings, and go to the Area assemblies and Intergroup meetings. At the General Service level, our delegates to the General Service Conference carry the Area's conscience to AA at the national and worldwide level. The Group is on the top of the hierarchy, the members have the final say.

The group dynamics work out this way, this is the way alcoholics act. Several of our traditions are that way, the way it just must be. Our Group is blessed with an abundance of elder statesmen, experienced members who are calm in the "crisis" and offer advise, but do not try to exercise authority. This example of humility and stability is the solid leadership we really have.

The second tradition has the phrase, "a loving God." This was mentioned a few times as a reminder that God does love us. One member said he abandoned the "Terrorist God" he had coming into AA, and accepted the loving God of the 2nd Tradition. It was also discussed how this applies to us individually, that since I have decided to live on an altruistic level, my judgments should be guided by my conscience, prayer and the advise of experienced AAs and others I trust. It was also mentioned how, as Bill describes in the 12x12, sometimes we individually think we hear the "voice of God" when we are really in need of hearing the voice of reason from our fellow AAs. We must step out of the isolation and allow others to help us.

There was a lot of discussion about the two 12x12 terms for oldtimers, elder statesmen and bleeding deacons. Most long time members shared some moments of being a bleeding deacon, but we all know they are now our beloved elder statesmen. Several laughs were had. Robert shared about how a meeting at a halfway house forced him to be both - he had to stand up to the group and tell them they needed to take over, he would be a faithful member, but the Group needed to step up and run things, he wouldn't do it all. The Group responded after some frazzled moments, and is now humming along.

Rotation was mentioned as an important part of keeping this tradition fluid. Rotating these service positions ensures no "empire building" takes place.

I've seen several controversies rise and be handled by Groups, or our Intergroup, letting everyone have their say, their vote, and resolutions made in the spirit of loving tolerance. It was pointed out that elder statesmen do not get excited about these controversies, but have the faith that our loving God will work this out through the Group conscience. I've also learned to make sure I think before I act, and realize I can benefit greatly from the advise and concerns of others.

Next week, Step Six. Keep comin' back!

-Chuck, Vegetarian fanboy