Didn't he flee the scene and then turn himself in later? Wouldn't that show some cupability on his part? Or was he worried that the "man" would do a house to house search looking for a renegade pirate and execute him in the street?

Regardless how much you think the LAPD abuses its power, driving two to three times the speed limit on a crowded street to track down someone who cut you off or flipped you the finger shows an incredible amount of stupidity. The end result of this "alpha male" behavior had the absolute worst outcome: innocent people got killed and maimed. I don't think the family of his victims care about how sweet and mellow Surewood is or about his "gentle soul".

Let me get drunk, get out my gun and start pumping random rounds into your house with your family in it. The noise of breaking glass from gunshots sounds cool. People think I have a sweet and gentle soul and a really mellow guy. If I happen to kill someone you love with my random gun shots, I can blame it on my stupid behavior while being drunk. Your loved ones are still dead and my friends can pimp care packages to me in prison and rant on and on about how the LAPD had it out for me. But you need to consider my side of the story before making snap judgements.