keith's auto's on the ipad, it's refreshingly not just about heroin, some of us kinda missed the late 60's london scene, bands that whipped riots up and the bits i'd never even have fathomed about basically the best riffs came by five-stringing a guitar like someone would use a slide playing banjo chords, but he'd pick after tuning into a chord-the rest of what made him legit was the first sony cassette recorders didn't have much ability to handle things, but the design basically served as an amp and distortion meaning shit like satisfaction/brown sugar were played into a defective recorder with an acoustic and the sound came out loud and distorded better than most of his plugged-in shit.

i'm biased, but it's killer if you like some history and keef.

and to cancel it out, ward just's new one on hiring a gardener who was one of the guys in the days the cia was anything but defanged. again, just, ford and amis are always going to end up selling copy to me. updike and mailer were clearly those guys to my parents generation in terms of having some real talent and selling enough books to swing and miss then just come out of nowhere like amis did a year ago, it's like when a pitcher turns 27 and show up in febuary with a changeup in the 60's and a 12-6 after living on a fastball and bad split for years and doing it well. talent tends to let one realize it's time to add a pitch and end up mastering twice that when he resurfaces.

throw in ross, and remember atonement's all ian will ever write, guy's too comfy contractually and clearly lacks pathos and a standard transmission the others are working with, but i suppose accords have merits. but if you're expecting independance day after the sportswriter decades apart, he's book-club and ford's can downshift and fire out rock springs, best short stories on the american west of modernity that's going to get done.

not much comes out now that's got the ego/risk those guys work within, when you're not afraid to miss or admit it's going to be some time between ideas of merit and have a few that fit in nicely after the rabbits in shit worth remembering, i'll take the chance of tossing the thing 24 pages in because it's just as likely to approach that greatness-kinda-line too.

oh, and sometimes paul auster amuses me, new one's redeeming after a while off the reservation of readability.

Martin Amis "honoring" katie price with a character bearing some of her traits