Quote:

I am not drinking tonight. I am very very baked though.

If you are concocting shandys your buzz might very well be in your head rather than your bloodstream.

Ever see what happens when an inexperienced teenager buys fake acid and trips all night?

I think it's kind of the same deal. In some situations just willing oneself to be high (even with a prop like shandy involved or orange Tic Tacs that I said was acid) works quite well.

Those had to have been the most expensive orange tic tacs ever.

I love this very phenomenon you refer to. There are some great short films of real bona fide university psychology experiments that show this effect that are fascinating to watch. It is related a bit to the way hypnosis works.

I believe that the opposite is also true. I think, up to a point, you can prevent yourself from being a jack-ass or ever appearing sloppy drunk, or making Mel Gibson-esque comments to the cops if you get pulled over, etc, etc, by simply not wanting to be a jerk when you drink.