Ok, the reson I'm optimistic is this. The raiders defense was third in the NFL even though they were on the field the entire game and the opponent usually started on the 40. The raiders lost to a few teams by very slim margins.

Cleveland 24 Raiders 21
Denver 13 Raiders 3
Seattle 16 Raiders 0 not that slim but defense only gave up 16.
Denver 17 Raiders 13
KC 17 Raiders 13
San Diego the second time around 21 Raiders 14

Those loses wern't exactly blowouts. All I'm saying is that if they use the draft wisely and this young coach is as good as more than a few smart football people say they will be much improved. That defense is sick. They have two of the best corners in football and one of the best ends. The only thing they need to improve on is DT. As far as the offense, yes they have a long way to go but a good oc with a decent scheme and some new blood will improve this team a bunch. If they get AP, Quinn or Russell in the draft that will be a start. I will agree that there have been serious personnel mistakes though. Gruden leaving, signing moss etc. But there were some things that wern't forseen. Gannon getting hurt a few years back, Gallery being a bust or near bust. A lot of know nothing media people are slagging the pick but a lot of knowledegable football people are behind Lane.

And yes, I'm a Kool aid drinker