Mother showed no signs of trouble before shooting two children for being 'mouthy'

A Florida mom was hospitalized a day after she allegedly shot her two children because they were "mouthy and talked back."

Julie Powers Schenecker, a 50-year-old wife of a US Army Colonel in Tampa, was arrested on two counts of first-degree murder on Friday.

Authorities told the Tampa Tribune that she was shaking uncontrollably and after being booked was taken to the jail's medical ward for observation.

Her first court appearance was postponed.

Police told the newspaper they received a call early Friday from Schenecker's mother who was concerned that she couldn't reach her daughter and believed she was depressed.

What they discovered next shocked the quiet Tampa suburb where the Scheneckers lived.

Police alleged that Schenecker bought a .38-caliber revolver five days before the murders. According to an arrest affidavit, she shot her 13-year-old son, Beau, on their way to soccer practice for "talking back." She then allegedly drove to their home and shot her 16-year-old daughter, Carlyx, in the face.

Her husband, Parker Schenecker, was working in the Middle East when the shootings happened.

The tragedy reportedly came as a shock to friends of the military family. According to police records, Julie Schenecker had no criminal history and her only interaction with police was a bad traffic accident in 2010.

Her children were remembered as cheerful and seemingly happy.

Calyx Schenecker was an outstanding cross country runner and Beau was an enthusiastic soccer player, neighbors said. On a Facebook memorial page, the teens' friends remembered them as friendly.

"As I read this story over and over again, I still can't even believe it happened since I just saw you a couple of days ago. But everything happens for a reason. It will be really different not seeing you sitting at the lunch table right next to me. I'm so glad I got to know you. Ill see you in heaven. RIP Beau," one commenter said.

A teammate of Calyx told the Tampa Tribune she had last seen her the day of the shootings.

"She always, always had a smile on her face every day at practice," Emily Kolilas said. "Everyone loved Calyx. I loved her. She was just an outstanding young woman. She was amazing. I just can't believe it."

A Facebook profile of Julie Powers Schenecker didn't show any signs of trouble.

It shows a smiling petite blonde whose activities include "Turn Facebook Pink for 1 Week for Breast Cancer Awareness", "The Cheesecake Factory" and "Click Like If You Love Your Son."

LINK

Attachments
506306-alg_julie-powers-schenecker.jpg (3 downloads)