Quote:

I could never get into his music. He's a great guitarist, but a shitty songwriter. I only like a handful of his songs. They were just excuses for him to solo all over.

In Yng's defense, I reckon he has a couple of decent song-orientated albums, provided you're into '80s metal. The Alcatrazz album he did is more in the Rainbow tradition than his later adventures. Of his Rising Force material, "Marching Out" is a solid metal record with some killer songs (plus it features Jeff Scott Soto, who is easily the best singer Malmsteen's ever had). "Trilogy" also has some great numbers, replete with Dio-ish fantasy lyrics.
I'm not as interested in his material post '86. Patchy at best, plus his technique and sound changed for the worse. Usually one or two decent tunes per album, though.
That video's worth a try - the band were promoting "Marching Out" so play all the good stuff from that plus 3/4 Alcatrazz numbers. "Focken'" Yngwie's on good form, too. Definitely his best recorded show for balancing time spent playing songs with time spent showboating.