Monday I went down to my Congressman at Journal Square to get a passport issue straightened out. The woman who handles this was out to lunch, so I left the info and went to lunch myself.

I decided to go to "Sava Polish Diner", a restaurant I discovered when on jury duty. Basically, it's an older woman dishing out different items her family cooked for the day. Some are "standards", some are "specials".

I went with the fried chicken breast, a piece of stuffed cabbage, kasha and a cabbage mixed she refers to as "white garbage". I decided to pass on the pierogies because there were already too many carbs on my plate [rice in the cabbage and the buckwheat] and the white flour used. They are exceptional, though.

You get this on a standard styrofoam plate filled to overflowing with plastic utensils. She then thinks up a price for it - even if you get the exact same thing tomorrow it likely will not cost the same. So I paid $7 for the food and a can of diet soda.

Then you find a spot at one of the thick, sturdy old-time solid oak tables. The chairs match. Both need to be restained.

As always the food was excellent!! The chicken breast was pounded paper thin and the batter was mostly seasoned eggs and was quite interesting. The stuffed cabbage was exceptional. Very much like my Hungarian grandmother used to make, except no ground meat. I mix the kasha with the "white garbage" since I like the different taste and textures together.

After I was done I got a call to tell me my passport issue was solved. Since I was overjoyed and the weather was nice I decided to walk the 3-4 miles home.

This lunch served me quite well as all I had after that were some grape tomatoes, baby carrots and a huge grapefruit I get from Costco.