Quote:

Today TheFoot went window shopping which gave me ample time to eat LUNCH alone. I had Indian curry rice (made with freshly crushed garlic, ginger, red chillies and coriander) and grilled tandoori chicken. Now you might be wondering why I mention freshly crushed spices: the reason being I don't go the route of buying curry powder which actually gives a different taste- I made my own curry. Also more importantly, you need these spices fresh if you want them to burn your toungue (which esentially is the taste).

True Indian cooking never uses "curry powder." My favorite cookbook is Madhur Jaffrey's "Indian Cooking", a spice- and ghee-stained paperback from the early 90's where every recipe requires a unique spice mix, and ingredients are added to the pot at various times for various durations. Without an organized spice "rack" (I purchased little, stackable metal tins, and labelled them*), cooking several of these recipes could spiral into a time-consuming disorganized fuck-fest.

*-no, I'm not Alton Brown.