Originally Posted By: Steezo
A new knife sharpening system. The Wicked Edge Pro Gen 3. Ridiculously expensive, but I have a ton of knives and I've never been good at using sharpening stones by hand. And I don't trust anyone locally to do a good job on my knives because I think they all use machines that grind off a lot of metal. Also, during the fishing season, I might need to sharpen my knives every single day to deal with all of the salmon filleting we do.

With this, you clamp the knife down in the middle of the vise and then dial in the desired angle you want for the blade edge. Then you start sharpening, progressing through the various grit levels of stones that you can attach to the sharpening wands, from 100 grit to microfine ceramic. I absolutely love the design of this product. I wish I owned the patent.

If you want the knife sharpened right, they have to take metal off to thin the blade. All you do with a set up like the one you have is edge the knife, which is why you will have to do it every day during salmon season. As you go further into the blade, the edge will be thicker and last a shorter amount of time.

That said, I understand why you wouldn't want to get pricey knives hollow ground. Same reason people have a Nissan to commute in and a Benz for the wife and weekends.

P.S. Next to no one, professional or amateur, knows how to put a rolled edge on a forged knife anymore, much less how to do it and make it look nice.