Originally Posted By: Barry the Pirate
^^ He really is right about the comments in mainstream stuff. For all the wallowing in our filth that we do here, we have nothing on 'normal" people.

@EY Are you as hard on the people who find out about a room full of murdered children [who were shot to death with guns] and the first thing they think about is [making an] anti-gun [comment]?

I don't know, I think it would probably seem like a more natural reaction if it was expressed honestly and not couched in political talk radio sound bites. I was at work during the shooting and surrounded by mostly younger college educated women (i.e. Obama voters) and there was a lot of speculation about motive, and a lot of sadness about the loss of life. Nobody mentioned anything about guns or gun control or politics or how to tie the President into the tragedy.

We had a thread about some other nutcase who killed a bunch of people on here a while back and had a much more "natural" discussion about what was wrong with the gunman, why did it happen, etc. There may have been a few comments by the gun nuts spazzing out, but I don't remember them if there were.

My response was about how unusual it was that there was only a single post like the one I responded to. I get threads being derailed and all, but it really was the only single post of its kind. Like I said above, it was my observation about how unusual it seemed that there was only a single post in the whole thread that took that position. First that struck me as odd, then sad, then funny.

As far as the crazies posting responses on mainstream websites: Maybe I'm being naïve, and I certainly don't read many posts made by Billy Bob the local grand wizard and head scrotum licker of the tea baggers if I can help it, but I suspect many of the more unusual posts are probably just teenaged boys trying to be outrageous or trolling people. Maybe I'm wrong.