Quote:

If Clinton was the opportunist people claim she is, she'd bow out now "for the good of the party,"

It's not that easy to quit. As I've said elsewhere, there are a *lot* people who have spent tremendous effort and a lot of money on her campaign. and they're within 1% of success... You have to be very careful on withdrawing if you ever want to call on them again in a future election.

(moreover, a lot of her volunteers think Obama can't win and that it is vital *for the good of the party* that she stay in and try to wrest the nomination from him in order to ensure that the Democrats win this fall - that's how they think)

There's ample precedent for her staying; look at Kennedy's attacks on Carter right up to the day of the floor vote. Moreover I take the contrarian view that her attacks on Obama are good experience for him so that he's not totally unprepared when he faces the Republicans in the general election.