Octogenarian eager to see killer hubby

A 49-year-old man who bludgeoned his grandmother and great-aunt to death more than three decades ago left prison this week ready to settle down with his 88-year-old wife.

Frank Czumalowski wed Radmilla Dobrijevick on Jan. 31, 2006, the day he was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison for violating his probation on a decade-old conviction for sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl.

Last year, Dobrijevick, who lives in Bridgeport, pledged in court that she would wait for Czumalowski.

His lawyer, Rob Serafinowicz, says she has.

"Frank Czumalowski has paid his debt to society and it's time for everyone to forgive him and welcome him back with open arms," Serafinowicz said. "This is a man who is working to better himself, who has a woman who is a good influence on his life, and hopefully, the two of them will be able to lead a life free of controversy and put everything that has happened behind them. I wish them the best of luck."

Thirty years ago, police say Czumalowski, then 19, bludgeoned his grandmother and great aunt to death as they huddled over the stove, preparing Easter dinner for him. He loaded their bodies into a wheelbarrow and buried them under their beloved rose garden.

Czumalowski was found not guilty by reason of insanity and released from a state psychiatric hospital after about six years. He told police at the time that he had taken LSD before the killings.

He was arrested in 1994 and convicted of two counts of first-degree sexual assault. He was released from prison in 2003 and placed on probation with the condition he undergo sex-offender treatment and stay away from children.

But he failed a lie detector test on whether he had been alone with a boy related to his landlady and was kicked out of his sexual behavior program for making threats. He also threatened his probation officer and told her that he would "revert back to his past criminal inclinations," according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Just before Czumalowski was sent to prison last year, Dobrijevick defended her husband to the judge.

"He didn't want to kill a bug on the porch. I had to use my velvet slipper to kill the bug," she said. "He is a very unlucky person. I hope I will have a good life with him."

Czumalowski was released from prison Thursday after serving 1 1/2 years.

SOURCE

+++

Hey, she's 88. He may not have to kill this one.