Quote:

Quote:

And yep, it was pinpointed that the culprit WAS Darren James. He brought his HIV to Brazil, and not the other way around.

how was it pinpointed?

Unless Darren’s infection is significantly advanced nobody can say with certainty who infected who.

The most believable technique is typing. There are many different variants on HIV. The last chart I saw several years ago showed 50+ numbered variants. Not all variants are seen everywhere: for example HIV-2 and related types are rare in the US but common in Africa.

It may be that surveillance is good enough in that part of Brazil to give them confidence that the variant Darren and/or Lara have is not something they’ve seen locally but is a common variant in LA or whatever part of Canada Lara comes from. This assumes that Darren or Lara have had their HIV typed.

I don’t know if HIV typing is something the corner-store medlab can do. If not it’s likely that it hasn’t been done in their cases. I’d like to see it done just in case Lara and Darren turn out to be unrelated infections (unlikely, but if it was the case they are unrelated ...)